VENTURA COUNTY EMPLOYMENT LAW ATTORNEY
NEED A LAWYER TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS IN THE WORKPLACE?
If your employer is treating you unfairly, then you need to obtain legal representation from an attorney that can take swift legal action. Under California & federal law, you have certain rights, including:
- Right to work in a discrimination & harassment-free environment.
- Right to be fairly paid.
- Right to have your employment contract honored.
To prove that your boss is not upholding your employee rights, you must be able to provide evidence that your boss was not following certain laws. Find out if you have a case by discussing your situation with Newman and Horton LLP. Call 805.232.3220 or submit an online case evaluation today!
Recognizing Illegal Workplace Harrasment And Discrimination
Although California is an at-will employment state, meaning your employer can fire you for no reason at all, there are several protections guaranteed by California law and federal law that restrict when an employer can be held responsible for harrassment, discrimination, retaliation or wrongful termination. You may have an employment lawsuit against your employer if you have experienced discrimination because of your:
- Gender, including how you express your gender and your gender identity
- Sexual Orientation, whether you identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.
- Disability, whether an actual disability, an impairment that you have experienced in the past or a perceived disability by your employer
- Medical Condition
- Pregnancy, including requesting time off for FMLA leave during or after childbirth
- National Origin
- Religion, including requiring uniforms that don’t recognize religious dress requirements or allow you to practice your religion on required days or at certain times
- Medical Condition
- Military Service, such as violations of the protections guaranteed by USERRA
- Association with a disabled coworker or disabled family member.
Those who work in in the service industry, such as a waiter, waitress, server, retail worker, housekeeper and other positions, unfortunately are often targets for illegal employment discrimination or harassment. If you work in the service industry remember that you have the same right as anyone else to be free from discrimination or harassment based on any your gender, race, sexual orientation, age, religion or any other factor listed above. If you have experienced harassment or discrimination at work, you also have the right to seek a legal remedy.
Sexual Harassment In The California Workplace
Sexual harassment in the California workplace is strictly prohibited by both state and federal law. However, in 2011 alone, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission received more than 11,000 complaints of sexual harrassment by a supervisor or coworker. The bottom line is that workers continue to be illegally harassed and made to feel uncomfortable or forced to quit because of sexual comments, inappropriate touching and requests for sexual contact that has no place in the work environment. If you have experienced sexual harassment call today to discuss your legal options.
HOW IS YOUR FIRM QUALIFIED TO TAKE ON MY CASE?
In his legal career, Attorney Horton has represented over 120 public employee and organizations. He is extremely familiar with employment law, and has dealt with many boards, hearings, as well as state and federal courts.
No matter what type of employment law issue you may be facing,Newman and Horton LLP can help. Our firm will provide honest counsel so that you can have an accurate idea of what to expect. Contact us today for more details.